- 8 oz. carrots
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (heaped) extra- fine sugar
- 6 white clover flowers (washed & segmented)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
- Heaped tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 oz. soft butter
- 5.25 oz. sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 3 purple clover flowers (washed & segmented)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F
- Line eight inch square cake panwith baking paper
- Wash, peel and finely grate the carrots.
- Measure the oil and sugar into a bowl, add the segmented
clover heads and beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and add the
grated carrot. Fold the flour and carrot into the oil, sugar, clover
and eggs. Then fold in the milk.
- Turn the mixture into prepared pan and bake in the pre-heated
oven for 40-45 minutes until the cake is firm and well risen (it will
shrink away from the sides of the tin). Allow to cool for 5 minutes,
and then turn the cake on to a cooling rack.
- To make the frosting: sift the confectioner’s sugar into a bowl
and beat in the softened butter. Add most of the segmented clover
flowers, reserving a few to decorate the cake.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cold cake and sprinkle the
reserved flower segments over the top.