Eggnog infused cake is layered with fresh cranberry sauce and eggnog pudding in this gorgeous, show-stopping holiday dessert!
yield: 12 servings
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
total time: 1 hour
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups eggnog
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
FOR THE CRANBERRY SAUCE
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
FOR THE PUDDING
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups eggnog
- 2 1/2 cups milk
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Additional cranberries, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan; line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until well combined. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- While cake bakes and cools, make cranberry sauce and pudding. In a medium saucepan, heat cranberry sauce ingredients to boiling over medium-high heat. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until berries have burst and sauce begins to thicken. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In large bowl, whisk pudding ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut cooled cake into cubes. Just before assembling trifle, in medium bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with electric mixer on high speed to stiff peaks.
- In trifle bowl, layer cake cubes, pudding mixture and cranberry sauce; repeat twice. Finish with a final layer of cake and pudding (no cranberry sauce). Top with whipped cream and garnish with additional cranberries, if desired. Serve within 1-2 hours.