A strong flavored gin is recommended. Sometimes, the cake can take longer than the stated time due to oven temperatures. Keep an eye on it and make sure the tester comes out clean.
- 8 oz. (two sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups extra fine sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lime
- ¾ cups extra fine sugar
- 5 tablespoons gin
- 5 tablespoons tonic
- 1 ¾ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons gin
Directions for cake:
Time needed: 1 hour and 35 minutes.
Grease and line a 2 lb. loaf pan and preheat oven to 350˚F.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add in the eggs, flour and lime zest. Beat until smooth.
Pour cake mixture into the pan and bake in the center of the oven for 40-45 minutes. When fully
baked, a cake tester should come out clean and the cake will leave the sides of the pan.
Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the pan while making the drizzle.
Directions for drizzle:
- Add the sugar, gin and tonic to a small pan.
- Heat on low-medium while stirring and wait for the sugar to dissolve. Once dissolved, turn off the heat.
- Poke the cake lightly with a cake tester/fork and then pour over the drizzle. Leave the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- Once the cake has fully cooled, remove it from the pan.
- In a small bowl, add your confectioners’ sugar and gradually mix in the gin until you get a thick pourable consistency. Don’t make it too thin or it will just run off the cake.
- Pour the frosting over the cake, sprinkle with lime zest and then add some lime slices for more decoration.