A light summer dessert that looks impressive but is very easy to make and you don’t have to turn the oven on when it’s 99°F outside!
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries (I used blackberries and strawberries. If you use strawberries cut them into slices)
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup sparkling water
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Will need two 4×8 inch loaf pans. Place the rinsed berries in one of the pans.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup of the cranberry juice and let stand 2 minutes to soften.
- In a small saucepan, bring the remaining ¼ cup cranberry juice and sugar to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir into the softened gelatin until it is dissolved. Now stir in the sparkling water and lime juice. Let cool to room temperature and pour over the fruit in the pan.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap over the fruit-filled pan and then place the empty pan directly on top of the plastic wrap, then put two unopened cans of beans or something similar into the pan to act as weights.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least three hours. Can make a day ahead.
- Remove the top pan, cans, and plastic wrap.
- To unmold, dip the bottom of the pan in hot water for about five seconds and then invert onto a serving platter, shaking firmly to release.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into slices. Serve with whipped cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.