Recently one of our customers stopped by to purchase his favorite teas and told us that when attending our Holiday Open House he has tried our Chocolate Saltine Toffee pieces - a delicious treat that has now become a favorite with his family. I had forgotten all about this recipe but at his urging am sharing with all of you!
This is so simple to make, extremely addictive, and combines all the sensations of salty, sweet, crunchy, and chewy.
TOTAL TIME 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES
- 30 to 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed (doesn’t matter if it is light or dark sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 pan or similar with aluminum foil and spray it very well with cooking spray. (Do not try to make this without using foil.)
- Place saltine crackers in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.
- In a saucepan on the stovetop, combine butter and sugar and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- As soon as it reaches boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened some. Take care not that your simmer is not too fast or the temperature too high. Stir mixture frequently while it simmers to avoid bubbling over or scorching.
- After mixture has thickened a bit, remove it from the heat, wait 30 seconds, add the vanilla extract, and stir.
- Pour mixture over the saltine crackers.
- Bake in for 5- 7 minutes, or until toffee/liquid becomes bubbly.
- After removing the pan from the oven, let it rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the chocolate chips and wait for 3 to 5 minutes, letting them soften and melt a bit, and then spread and smooth them into an even layer with a spatula. * (see note below)
- Let cool very well and if desired, refrigerate or freeze until hardened. Break into pieces the size of your choice.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- *Optional: After smoothing the chocolate, add nuts, seeds, graham cracker crumbs, toffee bits, dried fruit, or candy bits,
- To keep this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free crackers.